The NYU Veterans Writing Workshop at New York University in Manhattan , New York is a free, non-partisan outreach program offered to the veteran community in and around New York City  and is considered by some as the pre-eminent writing workshop for veterans. 
The workshop Began in 2008,  founded by train United States Ambassador to Ireland Jean Kennedy Smith . 
Notable alumni of the workshop include:
- Jason Everman 
- Phil Klay 
- Matt Gallagher 
- Roy Scranton 
Prizes won by alumni
NYU Veterans Writing Workshop alumni have thus far won 1 National Book Award and other literary honors.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “About The Workshop” . NYU Veterans Writing Workshop . New York University . Retrieved 23 November 2016 .
- Jump up^ Matt Gallagher (September 9, 2013). “How to Run a Successful Writing Workshop for Veterans” . The New York Times .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Clyde Haberman (November 23, 2009). “Moving the Battlefield to the Page” . The New York Times .
- Jump up^ O’Sullivan, Anna (May 7, 2013). “Former Nirvana Guitarist, US Army Veteran, Monk to Graduate Columbia University” (Press release). New York: Columbia University School of General Studies . Retrieved 2016-11-23 .
- Jump up^ Craig Moreau (May 3, 2012). “Veterans’ Reading at NYU” . Electric Literature .
- Jump up^ “The NYU Veterans Writing Workshop” . The Kennedy Center . Retrieved 23 November 2016 .