The Johns Hopkins Writing Seminars is an academic program offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in the Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts & Sciences at Johns Hopkins University .
Founded in 1947, notable faculty of the program included Edward Albee , John Barth , Madison Smartt Bell , JM Coetzee , Mary Jo Salter , Stephen Dixon , Mark Hertsgaard , Brad Leithauser , John Irwin , JD McClatchy , Alice McDermott , Mark Crispin Miller , Andrew Motion , Wyatt Prunty , David St. John , Mark Strand , Robert Stone , and David Yezzi . 
Writers Jean McGarry and Mary Jo Salter currently co-chairing the program, the reputation of which has risen and fallen over the years.   In 1997, US News and World Report ranked the program second in the United States out of sixty-five eligible full-residency MFA programs, though the Baltimore City Paper reported, “What is interesting about the US News is That they are rankings are based reputation –not test scores, job-placement rates, or student satisfaction. ”    In 2011, Poets & Writers ranked Hopkins seventeenth nationally out of 157 eligible full-residency MFA programs. The long respected Science Writing program  was closed down in 2013 as an on-campus program, but was soon re-established. 
- Writing Seminars BA Degree
- MA in Science Writing
- MA in Writing
- MA in Teaching Writing
- MFA in Fiction and Poetry
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- John Astin
- Beth Bachmann
- Russell Baker
- Frederick Barthelme
- Jeffrey Blitz
- Paul Harris Boardman
- Jennifer Finney Boylan
- Lucie Brock-Broido
- John Gregory Brown
- Vikram Chandra (novelist)
- Iris Chang
- Julie Checkoway 
- Wes Craven
- Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn
- Louise Erdrich
- Mark Friedman 
- Nell Greenfieldboyce
- Martha Grimes
- Rachel Hadas
- Gil Scott-Heron
- Lawrence Hill
- Pagan Kennedy
- Tim Kreider
- David Lipsky
- Rosemary Mahoney
- Emma Marris 
- Gardner McFall, 
- Tomás Q. Morín, 
- ZZ Packer
- Molly Peacock
- Hollis Robbins
- Deborah Rudacille
- Tom Sleigh
- Elizabeth Spiers
- Susan Stewart
- Rosanna Warren
- Rachel Wetzsteon
The Writing Seminars hosts the Turnbull Readings, a yearly reading series on the topic of poetry.  The series was established in 1891 and has run continuously between the years 1891-1984 and 2000-present.  Recent lecturers include Richard Wilbur , Paul Muldoon , Stanley Plumly , Edward Mendelson and Edna Longley .   
- The Hopkins Review
- Writing Seminars homepage at the JHU website
- ^ Jump up to:a b “About the Writing Seminars” . The Johns Hopkins University. nd . Retrieved 11 November 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Eileen Murphy (March 18, 1998). “Writers’ Cramp, Days of Whine and Prose at the JHU Writing Seminars” . City Paper . Retrieved June 27, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The Writing Seminars” . The Johns Hopkins University. nd . Retrieved 11 November 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Seth Abramson (24 August 2010). “Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing [Program Rankings]” . Google. Archived from the original on 31 October 2011 . Retrieved 11 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ Mike Bowler (February 10, 1998). “Strand writes off JHU Literature” . The Baltimore Sun .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The 2012 MFA Rankings: The Top Fifty” . Poets & Writers . Retrieved 15 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ Zivkovic, Bora. “Science Writing at Johns Hopkins | The SA Incubator, Scientific American Blog Network” . Blogs.scientificamerican.com . Retrieved 2015-03-10 .
- Jump up^ Straumsheim, Carl (2013-03-25). “Johns Hopkins cuts science writing program for master’s degree students @insidehighered” . Insidehighered.com . Retrieved 2015-03-10 .
- Jump up^ “Julie Checkoway Biography – – Cinedigm Entertainment” . Newvideo.com. 2011-04-11 . Retrieved 2015-03-10 .
- Jump up^ “Student Announcement” . Web.jhu.edu. 2012-03-01 . Retrieved 2015-03-10 .
- Jump up^ “The Breakthrough Institute – Emma Marris” . Thebreakthrough.org . Retrieved 2015-03-10 .
- Jump up^ “Being Time Books Gardner McFall” . Timebeing.com . Retrieved 2015-03-10 .
- Jump up^ “VCU MFA Program Hosts Reading by Tomas Morin Poets and James Arthur | VCU College of Humanities and Sciences” . Wp.vcu.edu. 2013-10-28 . Retrieved 2015-03-10 . [ permanent dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Turnbull Lectures – The History” . The Johns Hopkins University. Archived from the original on 10 December 2012 . Retrieved 11 November 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Turnbull Read-Past Readings” . The Johns Hopkins University. Archived from the original on 1 October 2012 . Retrieved 11 November 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gabrielle Dean (15 Feb 2011). “The Sheridan Libraries Blog” . Retrieved 11 November 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Faculty and Staff Announcements” . The Johns Hopkins University. November 3, 2011.