A work of art , artwork , room art , piece of art or object art is an aesthetic physical item or artistic establishment. Apart from “work of art”, qui May be used Any of work Regarded as artin icts Widest sense, Including works from literature and music , thesis terms apply principally to tangible, mobile forms of visual art :
- An example of fine art , such as a painting or sculpture
- An object that has been designed specifically for its aesthetic appeal, such as a piece of jewelry
- An object That has-been designed for aesthetic appeal as well as functional purpose, as in interior design and much folk art
- An object created for principally or purely functional, religious or other non-aesthetic, which is often considered as art (often later, or by cultural outsiders)
- A non-ephemeral photograph , film or visual computer program , such as a video game or computer animation
- A work of art installation or art conceptual art .
Used more broadly, the term is less
- A fine work of architecture or landscape design
- A production of live performance , such as theater , ballet , opera , performance art , musical concert and other performing arts , and other ephemeral, non-tangible creations.
This article is Concerned with the terms and concept as used in and applied to the visual arts, ALTHOUGH other fields Such As aural – music and written word- literature -have similar issues and philosophies. The term object of art is reserved to describe works of art that are not paintings, prints, drawings or large or medium-sized sculptures, or architecture (eg household goods, figurines, etc., some purely aesthetic, some also practical). The term work is used to describe the full body of work completed by an artist Throughout a career. 
A work of art in the visual arts is a physical two-or-three-dimensional object that is professionally determined or otherwise considered to fulfill a primary independent aesthetic function. A singular art object is often seen in the context of a larger art movement or artistic era , such as: a genre , aesthetic convention , culture , or regional-national distinction.  It can also be seen as an item within an artist’s “body of work” or work . The term is Commonly used by: museum and cultural heritage curators , the interested public, theart patron -private collector art community, and art galleries . 
Physical objects that document immaterial or conceptual art works, but do not conform to artistic conventions can be redefined and reclassified as art objects. Some Dada and Neo-Dada conceptual and readymade works have received later inclusion. Also, some architectural renderings and modelsof unbuilt projects, such as by Vitruvius , Leonardo da Vinci , Frank Lloyd Wright , and Frank Gehry , are other examples.
The products of environmental design , depending on intention and execution, can be “works of art” and include: land art , site-specific art , architecture , gardens , landscape architecture , installation art , rock art , and megalithic monuments .
Legal definitions of “work of art” are used in copyright law; see Visual arts # United States of America copyright definition of visual art .
Marcel Duchamp criticizes the idea that the work of art should be a unique product of an artist’s labor, representing their technical skill or artistic caprice. [ citation needed ] Theorists have argued that they do not have a constant meaning, but their meanings in the context of their culture, they have the ability to make things mean or signify something. 
Artist Michael Craig-Martin , creator of An Oak Tree , said, “It’s not a symbol.” I changed the physical substance of the glass of water. actual oak tree is physically present, but in the form of a glass of water. ” 
Some art theorists and writers have long made a distinction between the physical qualities of an art object and its identity-status as an artwork.  For example, a painting by Rembrandt has a physical existence as an “oil painting on canvas” which is separate from its identity as a masterpiece “work of art” or the artist’s magnum opus .  Many works of art are initially denied “museum quality” or artistic merit, and later become accepted and valued in museum and private collections. Works by the Impressionists and non-representational abstract artists are examples. Some, such as the”Readymades” of Marcel Duchamp, including his infamous urinal Fountain , are later reproduced as museum quality replicas.
There is an indefinite distinction, for current or historical aesthetic items: between ” fine art ” objects made by ” artists “; and folk art , craft-work , gold ” applied art ” objects made by “first, second, or third world” designers , artisans and craftspeople . Contemporary and archeological indigenous art , industrial design items in limited or mass production , and places created by environmental designers and cultural landscapes, are some examples. The term has been consistently available for debate, reconsideration, and redefinition.
- Artistic media
- Cultural artifact
- Opus number (used in music)
- Outline of aesthetics
- The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
- Western gun
- Jump up^ John Stothoff Badeau and John Richard Hayes, The Genius of Arab civilization: source of Renaissance . Taylor & Francis. 1983. p. 104
- Jump up^ WorkMerriam Webster Dictionary, Accessed April 2011
- Jump up^ Gell, Alfred (1998). Art and agency: An Anthropological Theory . Clarendon Press. p. 7. ISBN 0-19-828014-9 . Retrieved 2011-03-11 .
- Jump up^ Macdonald, Sharon (2006). A Companion to Museum Studies . Blackwell companions in cultural studies. Wiley-Blackwell. p. 52. ISBN 1-4051-0839-8 . Retrieved 2011-03-11 .
- Jump up^ Hall, S (ed.) 1997,Cultural Representations and Signifying Practice, Open University Press, London, 1997.
- Jump up^ “There’s No Need to be Afraid of the Present”,The Independent, 25 Jun 2001
- Jump up^ “Archived copy” . Archived from the original on August 4, 2009 . Retrieved October 29, 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Rembrandt Research Project – Home” . rembrandtresearchproject.org .